– The plant was not only delivered on time, it was delivered ahead of time, explains a very satisfied CEO of
Salten Aqua, Jarle Solemdal.
Pure Salmon Kaldnes AS, which is located with its head office in Sandefjord and a branch office in Drammen, currently counts a total of 86 employees. The company also has an international base in Abu Dhabi as well as office locations in the USA, Japan and France.
In 2019, the company signed a contract with Salten Smolt for the construction of a 9,000 square meter land-based fish farm in Breivik, Bodø.
Salten Smolt, which is owned by Salten Aqua As, Wenberg Fiskeoppdrett AS and Edelfarm AS, already operates a smolt plant next door and a feeding plant in the neighboring municipality of Saltdal.
5,5 Million fry
The Breivik project was procured with a total budget of NOK 600 million, which is the largest investment ever for the Salten Aqua group. The production of smolt per year has now tripled from 400 tonnes to 1200 tonnes.
Pure Salmon Kaldnes AS has delivered two hatcheries and five RAS departments. After a successful start-up before Christmas followed by several egg and fry insertions around New Year, all departments are now in operation.
A total of 5.5 million fry are currently swimming around in the new facility, and the CEO of the Salten Aqua group, Jarle Solemdal, is particularly pleased with the progress of the construction process.
New plans in progress
Pure Salmon Kaldnes not only delivered on time, but they actually delivered prior to deadline.
– That is not necessarily normal practice for our industry, smiles Solemdal, who is impressed with how the Sandefjord company managed to cope with the major challenges related to Covid-restrictions throughout the construction process. Here they were always ahead of, or on top of, the situation, explains the Salten Aqua CEO, who confirms that the company may choose to collaborate with Pure Salmon Kaldnes also on future projects.
– We are constantly assessing opportunities to expand our operations and build new facilities, and Pure Salmon Kaldnes will naturally be a potential partner when the time comes, says Jarle Solemdal.
The Managing Director at Salten Smolt, Børge Andreassen, is also very pleased with the collaboration with Pure Salmon Kaldnes.
– Such extensive construction projects rarely take place without problems, but Pure Salmon has been very good at adjusting and correcting progress along the way, says Andreassen.
– Success in every way
Senior Project Manager in Pure Salmon Kaldnes, Per Ivar Foshaug, states that this is one of the largest projects that the company has delivered with more than 80 people involved at most, among which 40 directly involved in the RAS delivery of Pure Salmon Kaldnes specifically.
– It has been a very exciting project to be part of. We have delivered a complete facility in a beautiful wrapping with the building itself and its office department. These are two flow-through hatcheries and five RAS departments with complete over- and underground piping systems, pumps with all technical equipment, including feeding systems, as well as an advanced automation system with SCADA fully implemented. It has been a project of unique collaboration from all parties, and it feels extra good knowing it has been such a successful project both in terms of delivery, quality, and economy, says Foshaug who is currently stationed in Abu Dhabi.
The Project Director in Pure Salmon Kaldnes, Luke Kellgren-Parker, would like to take this opportunity to thank Salten Smolt for the good cooperation.
If you want to learn more about Pure Salmon Kaldnes, you can read about our technology and work by clicking the link.